4 Managing and lifting under performance
Whenever a team member is under-performing – your job is to uncover the reasons for non-performance.
Be totally clear on where the specific deficit lies – against PD, code of conduct, your stated expectations; work plans, clinical guidelines.
Always assume they want to do the right thing – you hire winners not loser
Under performance is usually a result of:
- Lack of role clarity
- Lack of knowledge or skills
- Lack of resource or support or authority/direction
- Not in the right job (all of the above)
- Deliberate under performance
- An underlying health/mental health issue
Attached is a Performance Improvement Plan to help guide you through this process. Also attached is a worked example.