The Time 2 Manage Framework sets out the 3 core elements that you as a manager need to get a handle on in order to take control of the overwhelming demands on your time.
Over the course of this module you will dive deep into each of these elements.
The important from the not important, the urgent from the non-urgent. The 3 strategies you will cover are these:
- Define important (mission/purpose)
- Get it out of you head
- Next actions – close the loops – Do, Defer, Delegate, dump
This is where you take full responsibility for how you manage time, priorities and your response to pressure – and expect your team to do the same. You get to distribute responsibility and reduce your stress! It is also about how you manage up and down. The three areas you will look at are these:
- You – Consider your stories; why you say yes when you need to say no, or how; why you don’t say anything, why you feel like you have to do everything when that is completely impossible; why the pressure others place on you to meet deadlines is completely unhelpful – and something you should stop doing to your people.
- Down – Distribute power to your team through shared governance, delegation, empowering, coaching, work plans and resourcing.
- Up – Negotiating and setting priorities and expectations.
The scaffolding provides the systems, processes and structures to support you and your team to get more done with less stress. The 3 areas we cover are these:
- Establish empowering structure and processes that self-corrects and adjusts in response to tensions and issues
- Simple tools
- Task capturing tools
- Tensions/improvement capturing tools
- Process to:
- Clarify priorities (process and tools) – what is the purpose or mission (what’s important? What’s the point?). What are the organisational priorities – imperatives right now?
- Tools to plan, monitor and measure work.
And finally, the core functions that you will use as a manager each day to bring it all together are:
- Allocating work to roles (We discuss this in terms of delegation)
- Accounting for the work done (We will look closely at strategies and tools to do this when we examine the scaffolding you need to manage time)
- Resolving tensions or issues that get in the way of the work being done, or get in the way of the mission being achieved. How to systematically raise issues, present proposals, and generate ideas for resolving them. Setting up your scaffolding in the right way will help you and your team resolve tensions. We also look at this again in terms of managing change and continuous improvement which comes later in this Empowered Leader Journey